A Special Treat Just For You–Pumpkin Spice & Coffee Mug Cake
I enjoy the days or evenings when I find that I’m going to be home alone (or just with my husband). I don’t understand the problem with “empty nesting.” I guess fi the chicks don’t come back often enough I’d be blue, but from the point of view that we often have a full house plus friends–I can’t relate.
Here is a special treat for you and, perhaps one more. It can be anyone–your best friend, husband or one of the kids. I often enjoy mug cakes because they are fresh, homemade and gluten-free. Also, they only make enough for right now! So many of my recipes are for many people, and I love being able to run some next door or to a friend who needs a pick up. But, sometimes, I just want something for an afternoon treat or dessert that is just the right size to eat up in one sitting.
I admit that I think adding coffee to almost any recipe would be a plus. This recipe makes a large mug cake, so you might want to share it. Believe me, if you are a coffee lover and a cake lover, you are going to enjoy this treat. It is quick and easy and, oh, so good. Let me know how it works for you!
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted & cooled
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons very strong coffee, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup homemade gluten-free baking mix (recipe posted June 29, 2015)
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix (recipe posted October 23, 2015)
- pinch of salt
- Whipped cream for serving
- Sprinkle of cinnamon for serving
- In a small bowl, beat melted butter, egg, coffee and pumpkin with a whisk. Add the sugar, baking mix (be sure lumps are very small--crush them with your fingers before you add to mix), pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix until blended--may have small lumps but not many.
- Pour into one large microwaveable mugs (should hold 10 oz or more). I often use a 1½ cup measuring cup--no spills! Microwave uncovered on high for 2 minutes. Cool a couple of minutes before serving.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Makes 1 large mug cake--or you can make in 2 smaller mugs--to share.