Biscotti–Gluten-Free and Made With Cookie Butter Chips!
I love biscotti which are also known as twice-baked Italian cookies. You bake them in a large log (or two) that is about 4 inches wide. Once it is baked golden, you slice it into 1-inch slices and then you bake the slices on the side for just a couple of minutes and then flip the cookies to the other side to bake for a couple of minute. Biscotti can be quite crispy. I just baked mine until the surfaces were crisp, but soft in the middle.
Traditionally, biscotti is served with Italian coffee and the cookies are dunked in the drink to soften a bit. What a wonderful mid-afternoon treat!
This recipe has you melt white chocolate chips and cookie butter in the microwave and set it into a slab of candy in the freezer. In about an hour or so, you take the slab of candy and crack it into “cookie butter chips.” So good!
I have a friend who is Italian, so I took a couple over for her to taste. She loved them! She even liked that they weren’t as dry and crispy as the traditional cookie. Of course, there is nothing saying you can’t bake them longer after they are sliced if you want the traditional crisp cookie! Give this recipe a try. You will be glad you did!
- 1 batch cookie butter chips (recipe below)
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon xnthan gum
- Early in the day you want to bake (or the day before), melt ½ cup cookie butter (recipe posted 7/28/15) and ½ cup white chocolate chips in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Stir every 30 seconds until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour into a wax paper lined pan and spread into a thin layer. Put the pan into the freezer for about 4 hours. Take out and break into pieces about the size of chocolate chips. Store in freezer if not baking immediately.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat eggs well. Add the oil and sugar and beat into the eggs. Add the vanilla and baking powder.
- Stir together the flour and xanthan gum. Slowly add the flour and combine until you have a stiff dough. Gently stir in the cookie butter chips.
- Spoon half of the dough along the center of one baking sheet making a log about 4 inches wide and 1 inch high and as long as your sheet. Wit fluored hands, smooth the top of the log. Repeat with second half of dough.
- Bake both biscotti logs for 28 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Slice each log across the 4 inch side into 1 inch cookies. Place the cookies back on the baking sheet on one side side and bake for 4 minutes. Flip the cookies and bake the other side 4 minutes. Cookies should be crisp on the outside and soft inside. Makes 30 cookies or so.