Coconut Pie using GF Baking Mix
Trust me on this one. If you have company coming over and you want your home to smell heavenly–try this recipe! I mad the gluten-free baking mix last month and posted it on this blog on June 29th. I still have lots of it on the pantry shelf. I don’t even freeze it! Looks and tastes like I just made it. Then I saw this recipe for coconut pie, which is a family favorite. I just had to try it.
A neighbor came to the door while it was in the oven and she nearly swooned at the wonderful smell. She isn’t gluten-free but she offered to try a slice. Next she wanted to know about the blog so she could get the recipe and follow me online. Believe me–this recipe is that good! Give it a try. Your non-gluten-free friends are going to be asking for the recipe!
- 3 eggs
- 1¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flaked or shredded coconut
- ¾ cups sugar
- ½ cup gluten-free Baking mix (recipe posted June 29)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9-inch glass pie plate with shortening or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate. Place on baking sheet in oven.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Store any remaining pie covered in refrigerator.
- To serve, top with whipped cream or cool whip and toasted coconut. To toast coconut, place ¼ cup shredded coconut in nonstick pan over medium heat for a couple of minutes. When the coconut starts to turn brow, remove and place on cold dish. This take no time at all and really enhances the taste and look of the garnish.