Gingerbread Stars are a Holiday Favorite!
This is a fun and family-friendly recipe to make for the holidays. As a gluten-free baker I am always on the lookout for easy recipes that use gluten-free items from the grocery store. Did you know that most (if not all) Jell-O products are gluten-free? I think if we want the convenience of being able to buy standard items that are gluten-free, we should be sure to support those manufacturers that support our lifestyle. When I saw this recipe, I just knew I’d have to try it!
It is great! It tastes quite rich with the addition of the pudding mix and the dough is fairly easy to handle. You may note that I only made stars for the shape. I find that during the busy holidays, streamlining my baking this way makes the production of lots (and lots) of cookies easier. I only have to decide how I’m going to decorate them and prepare one type of icing. See–easier!
Finally, this might become your favorite gingerbread recipe since it has a reich deep flavor but you don’t have to buy a lot of spices you might only use at the holidays. These cookies are crispy on the outside but soft and rich on the inside. I hope you give them a try. Happy holiday, gluten-free baking!
- 1 box Jell-o butterscotch pudding mix (not instant)
- ¾ cups margarine
- ¾ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2¼ cups Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour (279 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- In the bowl for a stand mixer, cream pudding with margarine and sugar. Add egg and blend well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon. Blend into the creamed mixture
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 10 minutes (or overnight). Chilled dough is easier to roll and to cut.
- Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper and pre heat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll dough on floured plastic wrap to about ¼-inch thick and cut with cookie cutters. I only used star cutters but you can use what you want. Dust cutters with flour before cutting dough.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool cookies on wire rack. Once cool, decorate as desired. Makes 25-30 cookies some large and some small.