Happy Halloween! Enjoy a Gluten-Free Iced Pumpkin Donut
The schools will be celebrating Halloween today all over the country. I hope you and your family have a safe, healthy and gluten-free holiday. Don’t let the ghouls (or the gluten) get you!
I think this is one of the hardest holidays for people who are new to living gluten-free. It seems like all you can do is say no to all the goodies to stay safe. Not true! Check out on line your favorite resource for gluten-free information and be sure that these are the ONLY candies in your house. Have them to give to your trick-or-treaters,and allow your children to eat only them. You will be surprised how many regular treats are gluten-free. I hope this helps make the holiday more fun!
To be sure that what you have is gluten-free, try these donuts. They are sweet, easy to make, and delicious. I usually make them for Halloween and for Thanksgiving. A seasonal treat that my whole family enjoys. Here is the recipe–happy gluten-free baking!
- 2 cups Baking Free ™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix (recipe posted October 23, 2015)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter flavor shortening
- 1½ cup confectioner sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vanilla extract
- tablespoon milk, more as needed to thin icing
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare donut pans with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl for a stand mixer, stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, spice, salt and baking soda. Add pumpkin puree, eggs, milk and softened putter. Beat on low until combined. Spoon into donut pans. Fill cups about ⅔ full. I use 2 pans so all 12 donuts are ready at once. You can make 6 at a time--it's just hard to wait for the second set!
- Bake in oven about 8-10 minutes until tops spring back when lightly touched. Allow donuts to cool in pans 5 minutes. Then turn them out onto a cooling rack. When cool, top with icing and sprinkles (if desired).
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl until icing is smooth and thick. If too thick add milk by the tablespoonfuls. Ice cooled donuts. Makes 12 donuts.