Happy Mother’s Day! Pressed Butter Cookies
There is nothing as satisfying as a family celebration! Heart warming and just plain fun. Take good care of your mom on this wonderful day. Let her know just how much she means to you and how much you appreciate everything she does. Think about trying this easy and wonderful recipe for pressed butter cookies also known as Spritz cookies. “Spritzgebäck is a type of German and Alsatian biscuit or cookie made of flour, butter, sugar and eggs. When made correctly, the cookies are crisp, fragile, somewhat dry, and buttery.” Wikipedia
Usually heard about at the holidays in December, these are delicate and lovely tea cookies–not too sweet but crispy and fun. You do need a cookie press to make these but it is well worth the investment. The recipe makes about 8 dozen cookies so think this through and color half or one-third different colors for variety. Then use colored sprinkles or sugar to really add the sparkle! Have fun making them and then share the bounty with all the other wonderful women in you life who should also be celebrated.
Make a memory and have a wonderful Mother’s Day.
- 3 cups Baking Free Gluten-Free all purpose flour (for best results flour should be weighed--372 g for this recipe)
- ¾ teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- ¾ cups sugar
- 3 large egg yolks (save the egg whites for another recipe)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- colored sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Measure flour and xanthan gum into bowl. Stir to mix. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat again until fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Slowly add the flour mix and beat until combined. Should be a nice, smooth dough. You can divide your dough in half or thirds now and stir in the colors you want to use. Keep the dough that you are not using in the press in the refrigerator until ready to fill the press.
- Prepare your cookie press. Lift the dough press part until its all the way to the top. Fill the tube with the dough. Fit the disk of your choice into the bottom part and screw on tightly. Now press the gun part (you will hear a click each time you press) until you see dough pressing against the disk at the bottom.
- Use ungreased cookie sheets only. Place the end of your press firmly and evenly on the cookie sheet and press once on the gun. You should have a nice cookie shape on the sheet. If no dough stuck or if the shape is incomplete, just pick it up and throw it back into the bowl of dough. Press out enough cookies to cover the cookie sheet, leaving about 2 inches in between each cookie. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until they are just barely brown. Remove from the oven and let cool before moving to a wire rack to cool completely. They are quite delicate--be careful!
- Repeat filling cookie press and baking until all dough is used. If dough gets too soft--place it in the refrigerator for a couple of minutes. Makes about 8 dozen