Honey Graham Crackers–the Best and Gluten-Free
I used to like graham crackers and then, awhile ago, they fell out of favor with me. Somehow they just didn’t have the rich golden flavor I remembered from childhood. Now I’ve been asked to make a gluten-free graham cracker crust for pies. So I dug out a really old recipe and tried it with Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour. I loved them!
It is a really basic recipe so it’s not anything that is difficult. I think that the honey and molasses makes them yummy! I had to hide some of them so I could make the pie crust! I’ll post the pie crust next week, but in the meantime, I recommend that you try this recipe. From now on I’m doubling the recipe so we can eat our fill and I’ll still have enough to bake with! That is my new strategy! Here is the recipe–let me know if you try this and how you like the gf graham crackers.
Also remember you can top them just as you bake them with raw sugar crystals or cinnamon and sugar! Enough said! Enjoy!
- 2 cups Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour (248 g)
- ¼ cup Positively Free™ Instant Oats (in blender, pulse to a finer oat flour)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xantham gum
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons chilled butter cut into small chips
- 3 tablespoons iced water (more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low to blend.
- Add the chips of butter to the dry ingredients and mix on low.
- In a small glass measuring bowl mix the honey, molasses and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients. Finally, add the ice water 1 tablespoon as a time until the dough comes together. If necessary, add more iced water 1 teaspoon at a time, until the dough forms a nice ball.
- Form the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. I usually make the disk more rectangular since I'll be rolling them into a rectangle eventually. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to bake, set dough out for about 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on floured plastic wrap and cut into 3" x 3" squares. Transfer to the prepared cookie sheets. Leave just a little room between each cracker. With a fork, prick each cracker several times with a fork. Gather the remains of the dough and roll to cut out more squares.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating pans half way through the baking time. After they have baked for 15 minutes, turn off the oven and open the door slightly to let oven cool a bit (2-3 minutes). Then close the oven door (oven off but still warm), and let crackers remain in the warm oven for 10-15 minutes or until cool. This will ensure crispy graham crackers. Makes about 24 crackers.