Imposible Taco Pie–Delicious for Dinner
I make this very easy taco pie often for my family because they really, really like the taste. It is easy to make and I can even do all the preparation and baking in the cooler summer mornings and just heat it for dinner if it gets too hot to cook. This week we are suffering from very hot temperatures, so I planned to serve this reheated (by microwave) with a crisp salad. A healthy and tasty dinner without the problem of heating up the whole house in the evening. For summer meals, that is truly a plus to me! Plus this recipe uses the g-f baking mix that I make regularly.
However, this recipe brought to mind that as a gluten-free family, I have to constantly check to be sure that the spices and condiments that I use are truly gluten-free. For example, I usually use a commercial dry taco seasoning which my family doesn’t have any problem with. However, online I saw that a couple of these manufacturers have gone to a barley based starch which would cause problems for most gluten-free diners. I checked and my mix is gluten-free, but if you are extremely sensitive or just unsure–here is an easy, make-it-yourself recipe for taco seasoning.
Taco seasoning: 2 teaspoons instant minced onion, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 g-f corn starch, 1/2 teaspoon minced or dry garlic, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin. Makes one packet of taco seasoning. Fortunately, these are items I usually have in my cupboard. If you are unsure of the gluten-free status of your seasoning, it is always better to control the ingredients and make it yourself.
I hope this recipe and information helps you to have a happy, healthy gluten-free summer!
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 Medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 packet taco seasoning, gluten-free (or homemade taco seasoning for 1 pound of meat)
- 1 can chopped green chilies, drained (4.5 oz)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup gluten-free baking mix (reccipe posted June 29) (https://gfbakingfree.com/recipe/homemade-gluten-free-baking-mix/)
- ¾ cups shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate. Cook ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat. When meat is brown, drain and stir in dry taco seasoning. Spoon meat mixture into the prepared pie pan. Top with green chilies.
- Blend milk, eggs and baking mix in a blender for just a minute or so. Pour over meat in pie plate.
- Bake about 25 minutes . Sprinkle with shredded cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes to melt cheese. Cool 5 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces and serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.