Impossible Cheeseburger Pie–Dinner in Minutes and Gluten-Free!
According to media online, this is the most requested recipe for 2015. Of course, the original recipe, which I remember seeing in magazines in the 1980’s, was not gluten-free. Homemade, gluten-free baking mix is my substitute for the national brand. I make my own to be sure what is in the baking mix I use and to avoid any health problems.
I love that on a week night I can get a main dish in the oven in 5-10 minutes and just wait for it to bake. Easy and so satisfying! Because this tastes like cheeseburgers–everyone in my family looks forward to this dinner. You can add whatever you or your family would put on a regular cheeseburger. Several people here add ketchup! I just add slices of tomato with mine!
I also like the flexibility of this recipe. When I am dieting (or helping others to diet) I substitute low-fat cheese. No one notices. I have also added extra veggies (mushrooms, diced celery or shredded carrots) to bulk it up when I didn’t have quite a whole pound of meat. Got away with that, too! Any way you do it, this is an all American family dish. Enjoy!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- ½ cup homemade gluten-free baking mix (recipe posted
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray9-inch glass plate with cooking spray.
- n 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes, until beef is brown. Add garlic for last minute or two. Drain. Stir in salt. Spread in prepared pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.
- IN a small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with a fork or whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Makes 1 9-inch pie.