Melted Ice Cream Bread
It’s not often that I run across a recipe that I have never heard of before! I like to read cookbooks. I cook or bake almost every day. I don’t remember where I first saw this recipe but it was just recently. Then I saw melted ice cream recipes everywhere! Someone or something was telling me I had to do this!
Now, I have a theory that these recipes came from a baker who needed to have a treat or dessert, but he (or she) was out of milk. My first thought would be what could I substitute. I would never have thought of melting ice cream, but it strikes me as a good idea. And then, thinking of all the flavors of ice cream that could be used, it struck me as a great idea!
I used a premium ice cream that had caramel and pecans in it. The flavor just struck my fancy and I added (gf) chocolate chips, just because. This recipe makes what I would call a tea bread. Somewhat like a pound cake but not too sweet. You really taste the ice cream. It was delicious. I think that over the Summer I will be trying many different flavors–and probably reporting the results and sharing the recipes here. It stirs up my creative brain cells! I hope it does for you too! Let me know if you try this recipe and what flavors you use!
- 1½ cups Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour (186 g)
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅜ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups (12 oz) melted premium ice cream--your choice of flavor
- 1 cup (gf) chocolate chips or other add-in
- turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray an 8 X 4-inch loaf pan. Allow ice cream to melt at room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl blend flour, baking powder and salt.
- Weigh your melted ice cream to be sure you have a full 12 ounces. I had a pint of ice cream but it did not weigh 12 ounces when melted. I don't understand this but...) I needed to add 2 ounces of heavy cream.
- Put the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour the melted ice cream over the top of the dry ingredients and mix on medium for 2 minutes. Until well mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand and pour the thick batter into the prepared pan. Smooth top. Sprinkle top generously with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, turn out and cool completely on baking rack. Makes 1 loaf.