Mocha Bites for the Holiday Trays
This mocha flavored small cookie is just the right thing to add to a holiday tray. It is rich in flavor, but not too sweet. Anyone who cherishes his or her mid-afternoon cup of coffee will be sure to enjoy this treat. This recipe makes 18-20 small cookies. Enough that you can add a couple for variety on the holiday trays. With the white and chocolate drizzle, they present elegantly.
This recipe does not require chilling so you can get it made quickly. You can plan to make these in the morning and serve them at lunch or in the afternoon. So easy! This is also an easy recipe to double. Flexibility is “the name of the game” during the stressful holiday season. Take decisions that lessen the pressure you are under, and enjoy yourself more!
Here is the recipe–I hope you like it. Happy gluten-free baking!
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1¾ cup Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour (155 g)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 oz) diced and then brought to room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- For decoration:
- 2 oz white chocolate
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare 2 baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper. Combine coffee powder and water in a cup. Stir to dissolve and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- Put the butter and sugar in the bowl for a stand mixer, beat until creamy. Add the coffee, the egg and the flour and mix well. If the dough is too dry, add the water one tablespoonful at a time. Dough should be stiff but workable.
- Roll one tablespoonful into a small ball--recipe should make 18-20 balls. Place on prepared baking sheets. Slightly flatten the balls.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until firm but not browned. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 1 minute on the baking sheet. Then remove to baking rack to cool completely.
- For decoration: Melt chocolate in separate bowls in the microwave about 30 seconds on high and stir. Repeat until chocolate is soft enough to drizzle.
- When cookies are cool. drizzle the white chocolate over the cookies. Turn the cookies one quarter turn and drizzle the dark chocolate over the cookies. Let stand a minute to allow drizzle to firm up. Serve at room temperature. Makes 18-20 cookies.