Now for Hot Dog Buns
These hot dog buns are the same recipe as the hamburger buns with just a few changes. First, you have to prepare the baking sheet by drawing the bun outlines on the parchment paper with a permanent marker. My buns were 5 1/2″ long by 1 1/2″ wide and I left 1 1/2″ between each outline. You can adjust the outlines to the size of your hot dogs. The really nice thing about this is you turn the parchment paper over (so none of the ink gets on your buns) and you can still see the outlines and the spacing.
Prepare the dough as the recipe says but use a tablespoon to put 2-3 scoops of dough along the bun outline. I made 5 buns with this recipe. Then smooth the tops with the warm water and spoon (same as the hamburger rolls). Let them rise and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 25 minutes. I turned my baking sheet front to back to get even browning. Easy! Let them cool and enjoy!
As usual these are best eaten the day they are baked but they can be stored overnight in air tight container.
- 2½ cups Baking Free gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup warm milk--110 degrees (I used almond milk)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons yeast (1 packet)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter (melted & cooled to room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- Combine warm milk, sugar and yeast in a bowl, set aside for about 10 minutes. It will get bubbly.
- Combine flour, xanthan gum and salt in large stand mixer bowl.
- With mixer on low, gradually add yeast mixture to flour until it combines.
- Add butter, eggs and oil. Beat until well combined, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Increase speed and beat for about 3 minutes until batter is very smooth.
- Spray parchment paper with baking spray. Carefully spoon 2-3 tablespoons of batter along each bun outline on parchment paper.
- Put a little warm water in a cup and stir with a spoon. Using the back of the damp spoon smooth the top of each bun. Do not press down.
- Loosely cover with greased plastic wrap and clean kitchen towel. Place in a warm spot and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove covering and bake about 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown. I turned the baking sheet front to back to get an even browning on the buns.
- Let buns rest on baking sheet for a few minutes to cool. Then finish cooling on baking racks. Makes 5 hot dog buns.