Oats and Nuts Make a Sweet, Crunchy Crumble
Anytime of the year, a crumble dessert is always welcome. Using fresh or frozen fruits and berries makes this dessert one you can have anytime–not just when they are in season. Quicker and easier to make than a pie, this crumble will satisfy that longed-for sweet fruit baked in a crunchy topping. The mix of oats and nuts enriches the nutty taste, but lightens the overall calorie count.
Crumbles travel to cook-outs and pot lucks well. The recipe can be doubled for a larger group. Such an easy dessert that is sure to impress!
Summertime I bake my crumble early and serve it cold with ice cream. In the winter I bake it while dinner is being eaten. After clearing the table, I serve it warm and with whipped cream. The memory brings a smile to my face.
Lingering at the table with this apple-berry crumble, a cup of coffee and friends. It doesn’t get any better than that! Enjoy!
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened plus more for baking dish)
- ½ cup Positively Free Instant Oats
- ¾ cups Baking Free gluten-free all purpose flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- pinch salt
- ¾ cups chopped walnuts
- 5 baking apples
- 1½ cup berries of choice (I used frozen mixes berries-no need to thaw)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Baking Free gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold and cut into small pieces)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 2 quart shallow baking dish.
- Make the topping by whisking the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Work in the butter with pastry blender or your fingers until evenly moistened. Add nuts and stir.
- Peel the apples and cut into ¾ inch chunks. Toss with berries, sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Transfer the filling to the prepared dish and dot with the remaining cold butter. Spread the topping mixture on the fruit. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.