Pistachio Cake made with Baking Mix
This is definitely a Springtime dessert. Rich, sweet and so easy to make. And it serves a lot of people, too. In fact, I made this cake in a 9-inch round spring form pan, but you could make this in a 9 X 13-inch baking dish too’ Either works well and serves 10 to 12 people. Enough for a party!
This cake is made in layers. The bottom is a cookie layer made with baking mix, sugar and butter. Then a layer of cream cheese and powdered sugar. The next layer, the pudding mixture is made with slightly less milk so you have a nice, thick layer of pistachio pudding and, finally a topping of Cool Whip mixed with just a touch of powdered sugar.
This makes a rich, impressive dessert that is tasty and festive. Certainly, you can make this cake in any variation you or your family prefers just by changing the flavor of pudding mixes used. I’m thinking banana pudding and using some cherries and nuts for a banana split cake. The ideas are many–make it your own. Enjoy this recipe and have a happy Spring!
- 1¼ cups homemade, gluten-free baking mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- ½ cups finely chopped nuts--I used pistachios
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 packages JELLO instant pistachio pudding
- 2½ cups milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butte or spray a 9-inch spring form pan. Line bottom with parchment and spray.
- Mix the baking mix, brown sugar and butter in a food processor until crumbly. Press into prepared pan and bake about 10 minutes. Should be golden brown. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile beat 1 cup of powdered sugar with the cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth. Mix 1 cup of Cool Whip into the cream cheese mixture. Spread over the cooled crust.
- Make the pudding using the 2½ cups milk for 2 boxes of pudding mix. Beat with a hand mixer until pudding starts to thicken. Carefully pour the pudding over the cream cheese layer and spread evenly. Cover pudding with plastic wrap touching the pudding--so no skin forms. Refrigerate until firm. About 1 hour or more.
- Fold 1 tablespoon powdered sugar into the remaining Cool whip and spread over set pudding. Sprinkle with nuts before serving. Makes 1 9-inch cake. About 12 servings.