Savory Oat Scones–Taste like Everything Bagels!
Do you remember the flavors that we used to enjoy when we had “everything” bagels? You know, before going gluten-free? Well here is an amazing recipe for a light as air scone with the seasoning that is used on “everything” bagels. It really hits the spot if you miss that old favorite. And, to my surprise, it really isn’t even hard–just flavorful. Scones are usually quick to put together since you are encouraged not to beat or knead them too much since that makes them tough. I find breakfast or snack things that I can make quickly and that taste great help me to be satisfied with my decision to live gluten-free. I hope this recipe give that satisfaction to you too!
Now that I have the list of ingredients that goes into “everything” topping, I’m going to keep some mixed together in my spices to see when and where I can add this flavor to other baked items. I’ll share my new recipes with you in the future. In the meantime–start with this quick and easy recipe.
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt, 2 for topping & 1 for scones
- 1 cup Positively Free ™ Instant Oats
- 1½ cup Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour (186g)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ cups unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 yolk
- Stir together the sesame seeds, garlic, onion, poppy seeds and 2 teaspoons of salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper. Process oats in a food processor until finely ground. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking sod, garlic powder, onion powder, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Pulse until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk butter, buttermilk and eggs. Add to flour mixture and stir just to combine. Scoop dough with ¼ cup measuring cup (dipped in flour) and drop scone onto prepared baking sheet. Recipe should make 9-10 scones.
- Whisk egg yolk and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Brush dough with egg wash and sprinkle evenly with seed mixture. Bake until well browned and center is firm, about 20-22 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with butter.