Scandinavian Almond Cookies & the Last Post for 2017!
I can’t believe it but this is the last post for 2017. Together we have baked many sweet and many savory gluten-free foods. It has been especially rewarding for me as my family (finally) went completely gluten-free–not just those who had to. My kitchen is more organized and more fun for me this way. I hope you find that being healthy and leading a gluten-free life works well for you, too. For my last recipe, I looked back at some of the goodies that were traditional to have around for the period between Christmas and the New Year.
These Scandinavian cookies are delicious. The recipe was shared with me by a neighbor years ago. I made them for years, but then somehow I forgot about them. This is the first time I made this recipe with gluten-free flour–so easy! One of the things I really liked about them is that they are a bit like a crispy pastry with the distinctive flavor of almonds. And they are not too sweet. Delicious to serve with a hot cup of coffee!
Soon the holidays will be over, but the need for an afternoon snack and a cup of coffee will linger as long as it’s cold outside!
Next year I will still be baking but I hope to have more main dish recipes and more savory recipes, too. See you then. Have a safe and happy new year!
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Large egg
- 2 cups Baking Free gluten-free All Purpose Flour (248 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 5-6 teaspoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Combine 1 cup sugar and ¾ cup softened butter in stand mixer bowl and beat on medium until creamy. Add egg and continue to beat. Mix together the dry ingredients--flour, baking powder, almond flour and salt. Add to sugar mixture and mix together thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide dough into 2 halves. Shape into 2 logs 12X3-inches on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Brush each log with milk and generously sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Cut into 1-inch slices. Remove from cookie sheet and cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir the powdered sugar, almond extract and milk together until desired consistency to drizzle on cookies. Drizzle the glaze and sprinkle the remaining sliced almonds.