Spicy and Gluten-free Potato and Vegetable Cutlets
This recipe is a remake of an Indian main dish that we used to enjoy a lot. Recently, I ran across the old recipe and decided to remake it gluten-free for us to enjoy again. It went perfectly, and the kids really enjoyed this dinner. Even though I made it a bit spicy–it was a hit! I like this recipe for meatless Mondays.
I hope all of you will go through your family’s favorite recipes, and try to make them gluten-free. I have found that being able to adapt old favorite recipes to gluten-free ones, makes having a gluten-free home more pleasurable. I can still pass down recipes from previous generations, and I note the changes I make for current health issues. This makes for more happy family memories.
Happy gluten-free living! Enjoy!
- 4 Medium potatoes, boiled & mashed
- 1 cup peas, steamed & coarsely crushed
- ½ cup spinach (washed, dried and chopped)
- ½ cup paneer, grated (or ½ cup ricotta cheese)
- ½ cup Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour (as needed for binding)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced or paste
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- pinch of tumeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- vegetable or olive oil for frying
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Let the mixture chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Heat a little oil in a wide shallow nonstick pan.
- Roll out 12 equal sized balls and press slightly. Add to the frying pan in batches. Fry until golden on both sides and warm through.
- Serve hot with yogurt and chutney. Makes 12 cutlets, serves 6.