Spicy Gluten-Free Cheese Snacks
Sometimes my family just needs something crispy to munch on! This is my go to recipe since it makes up fast and I can keep some in the freezer (either unbaked as a log or baked). We like the added zip of the spicy pepper. It seems to punch up the Cheddar cheese flavor. They are much like cheese crackers so you can use them with a dip or top them for an appetizer. They also take just great all on their own. Quite a versatile item to have in your refrigerator!
Be sure to use a good Cheddar cheese for flavor and for melting ability–don’t skimp here. Using American cheese will not do as it has more oils in it and doesn’t bake well. Also, this is a great recipe to cut in half if you are the only gf person in your home or if you want to try it before committing to one half pound of butter and one whole pound of cheese. It is a bit decadent, I guess. I just feel that if I’m going to make so much of our gf foods, I want to use the best ingredients possible for my family.
If you do try this recipe, let me know what you and your family think of it. I hope it fills that need for a crunchy snack for your family, like it does for mine!
- 8oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 16oz sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour (248 g)
- Cream butter. Add grated cheese and mix. Stir baking powder, pepper, salt with flour. Add to cheese mixture to make a stiff dough.
- Cut dough in half and shape into rolls about 1½-inch in diameter. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight or freeze for half an hour. To serve, slice into rounds about ¼-inch thick and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes on ungreased baking sheet. Cool on rack so they can crisp. Serve with a dip or as a crunchy snack. The cayenne adds a spicy flavor to the cheese crisps.