Valentine’s Day Tiramisu–GF Ladyfingers for the Tiramisu
I’m serving my husband and family Tiramisu for Valentine’s Day dessert. We used to go to an Italian restaurant and share a serving of this rich, delicious dessert while we were courting. Now that we are gluten-free we haven’t had tiramisu in quite a long time. Since tiramisu requires the use of ladyfingers, a cookie that uses flour, I wouldn’t order it out for fear of problems. All this time I figured that ladyfingers would be hard to make, even though they look like meringue cookies, I still figured they would be difficult. Boy, was I wrong! Even without a good pastry bag (I used a ziptop quart bag and cut off a corner), these turned out great!
So, for you and for your valentines I offer these two recipes: ladyfinger cookies, easy to make and used in tiramisu and other delicious recipes, and tiramisu, a delicious, rich Italian dessert. Have a loving, gluten-free Valentine’s Day!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons + ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 cup Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line several large baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Fit a large pastry bag with a plain ½ inch round tube tip. If you don't have one, just cut the corner off a strong ziptop bag for ½ inch opening.
- Place egg whites in a bowl and beat on high until soft peaks start to form.
- Slowly add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar until thick and very pale in color.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- Fold half the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in flour and then add the remaining egg whites.
- Gently transfer to the pastry bag (or plastic bag) and pipe strips the look like ladyfingers onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Transfer cookies and parchment to cooling racks. Cool completely. Makes about 30 3-4 inch cookies.
- 6 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup good dark rum, divided (or water with 3 tablespoons rum flavoring)
- 1 cup brewed espresso, divided
- 16 oz mascarpone cheese
- 30 or so ladyfingers (recipe above)
- bittersweet chocolate, shaved or grated
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment on high speed for about 5 minutes, until thick and pale. Lower the speed to medium and add ¼ of rum (or flavored water), ¼ cup espresso and the mascarpone. Whisk until smooth.
- Combing the remaining ¼ cup rum and ¾ cups espresso in a shallow bowl. Dip one side of each ladyfinger in the espresso/rum mixture and line the bottom of a 9 X 12-inch dish. Pour ½ of the espresso cream mixture evenly on top. Dip one side of the remaining ladyfingers in the espresso/rum mixture and place them in a second layer in the dish. Pour the remaining espresso cream over the top. Smooth the top and cover dish with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving sprinkle the top with shaved chocolate. Makes 8 servings.